Khalifa Haftar announces ceasefire for Ramadan holy month

Libya strongman Khalifa Haftar said on April 29 his forces would cease hostilities for the Muslim holy month of Ramadan following international calls for a truce in the war-torn country.

“The commander general announces the halting of military operations from his side,” a spokesman for Haftar, who controls swathes of eastern and southern Libya, said from the eastern city of Benghazi.

Haftar’s rival, the UN-recognized Government of National Accord (GNA) had yet to respond, and an AFP correspondent reported hearing explosions in the center of the capital Tripoli after the announcement.

The call for a truce during Ramadan, which began in Libya on April 24, came in response to “appeals from friendly nations,” Haftar’s spokesman said.

He warned the GNA that any violation would be met with an “immediate and harsh response.”

Last week, the UN, EU and several countries called on both sides to lay down their arms during the holy month.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

3 × one =

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com