The Moroccan sovereign’s decision, made at the request of the President of Mali Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta, was announced Saturday by Foreign Minister Nasser Bourita during a phone talk with his Malian counterpart Tiébilé Dramé, the Malian government said in a statement.
“As part of the fight against COVID-19, the Malian President asked H.M. King Mohammed VI to make the Polyclinic of Sébéninkoro available to the Government of the Republic of Mali,” said the statement, adding that the Malian President expressed his sincere thanks to the Monarch, and to the Moroccan Government and people for this very valuable gesture.
The opening date of the Polyclinic will be decided in common agreement between the two countries, the statement said.
The health facility, fruit of sound collaboration between Rabat and Bamako, aims to contribute to the reduction of maternal and neonatal mortality.
In another development, the Malian Foreign Minister has expressed his country’s deep gratitude to Morocco for the treatment reserved for African students in general and Malians in particular in the times of the coronavirus pandemic.
This came during a recent meeting in Bamako between the Foreign Minister Tiébilé Dramé and Morocco’s ambassador to Mali, Hassan Naciri.
The Malian and African students benefit from the same care and benefits as Moroccan citizens, the Foreign Minister noted. He underlined that “these measures do not surprise anyone since they are part of HM King Mohammed VI’s policy in favor of South-South cooperation,” citing as an example the regularization of the situation thousands of Africans living in Morocco.
Mali has so far recorded 105 coronavirus cases, 9 deaths, and 22 recoveries.