Covid-19: Curfew extended from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.; travel to and from Casablanca, Marrakech, Agadir banned
The Moroccan Government has extended the night curfew from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. instead of 11 p.m. to 4.30 a.m. and banned travel to and from the cities of Casablanca, Marrakech, and Agadir, part of a series of tightened measures to curb the spread of the Covid-19 pandemic in view of the considerable increase in the number of cases and deaths recorded recently.
The measures, to take effect as of Tuesday, August 03, 2021 at 9:00 p.m., were adopted at the recommendations of the Scientific and Technical Commission, the Government said in a statement.
However, vaccinated people with a vaccination passport, individuals in urgent medical condition, people in charge of the transportation of goods and employees operating in the public and private sectors having a mission order document signed by their administrations are excluded from this measure, the statement said.
The measures provide for the closure of restaurants and cafes at 9 p.m. as well as the closure of hammams (public baths), gyms and indoor swimming pools, the statement added.
Gatherings and activities in closed and open spaces should not exceed 25 people, in case this number is to be exceeded, the authorization of local authorities will be required.
Hotels and tourist establishments must not exceed 75% of their reception capacity, underlined statement, calling for the encouragement of remote working in the public and private sectors when possible.
The statement added that all the precautionary measures adopted under the state of health emergency will be maintained. These include ban on funerals, wedding ceremonies and parties, and respect of a maximum of 50% of the reception capacity in cafes and restaurants, public transport and public swimming pools. Travel between prefectures and provinces is subject to the presentation of the vaccination passport or a travel administrative authorization issued by the competent territorial authorities.
The government also calls on citizens to comply with all precautionary measures in force within the framework of the state of emergency, namely physical distancing, respect of hygiene rules and the wearing of masks. The administrative and security services concerned will continue to implement firm control measures and apply sanctions against any establishment or person violating the rules in force.
Morocco has so far recorded 633,923 COVID-19 cases, 9,885 fatalities.