This second round of Bouznika talks will be followed by other rounds, according to the Libyan delegates.
In a final declaration issued at the end of the second round of talks, held October 2 – 06 in Bouznika, the representatives of the Libyan Parliament and the Higher State Council underscored the need for pursuing talks to safeguard their country’s supreme interests and put an end to the current political standoff.
They said the second round focused on specific criteria required in people taking senior positions in the key governmental institutions.
Their findings so far are beneficial to the Parliament and the council as they brace for renewing their members.
The achievement of Bouznika talks is a milestone on which Libyans can build on to reach further agreements to settle the conflict.
A report containing these agreements will be submitted to the presidents of the High Council of State and the House of Representatives for approval.
Both parties agreed to hold another round of talks in Morocco to prepare institutions for the post-transition period.
Morocco’s foreign minister Nasser Bourita for his part welcomed the progress achieved by the Libyan delegates and reiterated Morocco’s position in favor of a Libyan-Libyan solution that ends the conflict in the brotherly country in line with the aspirations of the Libyan people to stability and prosperity.
The Bouznika meeting is an inter-Libyan dialogue, not a dialogue on Libya. It is being conducted by the Libyans themselves without any interference, allowing the parties to agree and debate in order to reach a consensus, he said, noting that this approach proved its efficiency as it gives Libyans the possibility to solve their own problems, just as Libya does not need tutelage or interference.
At the end of the second round of talks, both parties reiterated their thanks to the efforts of Morocco “which have helped overcome the obstacles, in order to achieve genuine Libyan agreements, in harmony with the provisions of the Libyan Political Agreement”.