Libya: Clashes with IS Leaves Scores Dead among GNA Forces
Fierce fighting Wednesday with Islamic State (IS) militants left more than 30 fighters dead and scores wounded among loyal forces to the Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA) as they were advancing towards Sirte, the stronghold of the terrorist group.
“The toll of today’s martyrs reached 32, and 50 others were wounded,” the operations room set up by the new Government of National Unity (GNA) said on its Facebook page and Twitter account late Wednesday.
Five of the causalities were reportedly killed in a suicide car bomb attack. 50 other loyal fighters were injured in the clashes.
Three IS cars attacked the regular forces, the operations room told Libya Herald. One car was reportedly destroyed while the other two escaped.
Earlier on Tuesday the operations room officials reported that they lost seven men in a car bomb attack in Buairat el-Hassun, 60 kilometers (35 miles) west of Sirte, other fighters were also killed in clashes with IS as forces tried to regain Abu Grein crossroads.
The Tripoli-based GNA has called for fresh and better military equipment including planes to crash IS militants, which have become more resilient.
On Monday, world leaders promised to ease the arms embargo imposed on the country since 2011. They pledged to help the GNA acquire necessary military arsenal needed to stamp out IS. However, France warned that the equipment may fall into wrong hands and suggested that the embargo be maintained.