Morocco struggles to reduce prisoners’ recidivism

Morocco struggles to reduce prisoners’ recidivism

Some 42% of Moroccan prisoners have been re-convicted, showed a study by Morocco’s prison administration highlighting the challenge the country faces to reduce recidivism.

Most of those who have returned to prison are aged 25 to 29 years old according to the study which also links re-entry to prison to drug use, low levels of education as well as poverty.

The study also revealed that only 6% of inmates received training to prevent them from returning to criminality, leaving some 94% without whatsoever help from the government to be equipped against recidivism.

Analysts see that such alarming figures show the shortcomings of Morocco’s penal and prison system in inserting prisoners and correcting their behaviors.

CATEGORIES
Share This

COMMENTS

Wordpress (0)
Disqus ( )