Libya: GNA rejects Haftar’s unilateral ceasefire
Libya’s UN-recognized government of National Accord on April 30 rejected a truce unilaterally called the day before by military strongman Khalifa Haftar, saying it “did not trust” its eastern-based rival.
The GNA said in a statement that it did not trust Haftar, who controls the east and swathes of southern Libya, accusing him of violating previous truces. Any “ceasefire needs to have international safeguards and mechanisms” to monitor its implementation and to document violations, the GNA added in the statement.
Haftar’s camp had said on Wednesday it would cease hostilities during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan in response to international calls for a truce.
Last week, the UN, EU and several countries called on both sides to lay down their arms during the holy month.
Haftar made the ceasefire proposal just days after he declared himself the rightful ruler of Libya, a move described by GNA as a coup.
Haftar also assigned a close aide, Mahmoud Al-Werfalli, who is wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC), to recruit fighters for his self-proclaimed Libyan National Army (LNA).
According to press reports, Al-Werfalli went to Bani Walid province, south of Tripoli, with a large amount of money to recruit more soldiers.